SHOT FOR TOTS
Click here for flyer
NEWBORN thru 18 YEARS OF AGE
Every Thursday morning from 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
1st Thursday of each month from 2:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Beginning June 1, 2013
3RD TUESDAY OF EACH MONTH 2:00 – 6:00 PM
All clinics are walk-in, no appointment necessary!
For Children Click Here
For Adults Click Here
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population
Health Institute released its 2013 County Health Rankings Report. The
County Health Rankings rank the overall health of the
counties in all 50 states. Click
here to see the health rankings for Logan County.
Protect Yourself and Your Family From Salmonella
After you touch ducklings or chicks,
wash your hands so you don’t get sick!
Contact with live poultry (chicks, chickens,
ducklings, ducks, geese, and turkeys) can be a
source of human Salmonella infections.
Click Here to view a CDC flyer.
March 3-9 is National Severe Weather Preparedness Week
Are you and your family prepared for a severe weather threat?
Click on the - Be A Force of Nature - link above
to view a 6 year old's view of readiness.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in collaboration with state and local health departments and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), is investigating a multistate outbreak of fungal meningitis and other infections among patients who received contaminated steroid injections. This form of meningitis is not contagious. The investigation also includes fungal infections associated with injections in a peripheral joint space, such as a knee, shoulder or ankle.
Food Safety After a Power Outage
After a power outage, follow these safety tips from foodsafety.gov to
keep you and your family safe from the risk of foodborne illnesses.
For refrigerated foods:
For frozen foods:
Electrical power outages may affect the operation of your private home water or sewage treatment
system. Learn what to do if you have a private water system or sewage treatment system.
While a generator can provide an alternative source of power when the electricity goes out, it can also become a dangerous source of carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. A single
gas-powered generator can produce as much as 100 times more poisonous Carbon Monoxide gas than a
- Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage.
- Operate generators outdoors as far away from your house as possible. The National Institute of
Standards and Technology reports that even 15 feet away may still be dangerous because the
CO fumes can enter the home through windows, doors or vents. Tests are still being conducted
to find a safe operating distance.
- Never refuel a generator while it is running or hot.
- Install CO detectors inside the home near all the sleeping areas.
- Never use a charcoal grill or a barbecue grill indoors. Using a grill indoors will cause a build up of
CO inside your home, cabin, or camper unless you use it inside a vented fireplace.
- Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal — red, gray, black, or white — gives off CO.
- Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors. Using a gas camp stove indoors can cause CO to
build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.
All Homeowners are Encouraged to Test Their House for Radon
EPA estimates that radon causes thousands of cancer deaths in the U.S. each year.
Red Zones: Counties with the highest potential for elevated indoor radon levels
Orange Zones: Counties with a moderate potential for elevated indoor radon levels
All homeowners are encouraged to test the lowest level of their house for Radon. It has been known since the 1980s that humans face a health threat from naturally occurring Radon gas. Radon causes lung cancer. It is second only to cigarette smoking as the cause of lung cancer. Different studies debate the actual number of annual deaths caused by Radon, but even the least estimate numbers, still in the thousands (22,000 per year in U.S.), are cause for alarm. Logan County, along with two-thirds of Ohio is identified by the United States Environmental Protection Agency as a high risk area for occurrence of Radon accumulation in homes. Radon is unseen with no odor, but can easily be detected using a test kit available at the Logan County Health District ($6.00), 310 South Main Street, Bellefontaine, 937-592-9040.
Unlike some environmental hazards to health, persons can easily take action against Radon gas. The first step is to test your home. Testing should be done when windows are ordinarily closed for a three or four day period. Late fall and winter are good times to test when windows and doors are no longer left open. This will yield the highest levels of Radon a person may be exposed to. The test kit is placed in the basement or lowest level of the home for 3-4 days then sealed and dropped in the mail (postage prepaid). The lab sends a confidential report within days.
If test results are high enough for concern, residents can review their options to remove Radon from their home, and take whatever action they decide is necessary. Radon comes from the natural rock decay processes in subsoil. It is trapped in buildings as the subsoil air rises through cracks and pores in foundations. Removal of Radon is usually accomplished by penetrating the subsurface beneath a building and venting the subsurface air through the roof. This process is inexpensive during building construction, but is also very feasible for
existing buildings. A list of licensed contractors and specialists in Ohio is available from the Logan County Health District, Environmental Unit.
Unseen, unnoticed disease causing agents like Radon gas tend to take a back seat to diseases with more immediate impact. People cannot always take direct action against such threats, but in the case of Radon, it is easy to detect and remove. Anyone can take action against Radon. More information is available at www.loganhealth.org. “Like” the Logan County Health District on Facebook to receive the up to date heath related information.
PREPARE… PLAN…STAY INFORMED!
After flooding of a well disinfection should be performed.
CLICK HERE for well disinfection instructions
What you need to know about bed bugs.
Additional resources are available HERE
CDC HEALTH ADVISORY (Click Here)
Health Concerns about Misuse of Pesticides for Bed Bug Control
May 25, 2010 Pertussis Alert for Logan County Physicians/Healthcare Providers. Click for further information
Dr. Hoddinott recently presented information to Logan County Health District staff on Vitamin D in Health and Disease.
Click here to view the full presentation.
in Required Immunizations
2010-2011 School Year
additional Tdap (Tetanus, diptheria, and pertussis) booster is now
required for 7th grade
additional varicella (chickenpox) booster is required for kindergarten
4th dose of polio vaccine must be given on or after the 4th birthday
Health Board Recognizes Home Health Agency
Health District Responds to whooping cough
Heath Commissioner speaks to Rotarians...
of Agency Education Initiatives...
General Warns of H1N1 email scams
1000 Vaccinated at H1N1 clinic
Clinic serves over 650
Diagnosed with H1N1
Web Tool Gives H1N1 Flu Advice
no longer conducting seasonal flu clinic